GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:29 pm 
normal user

I was attempting to navigate to a small rural town in Alberta using the find function on my GPS yesterday. After searching the town name (Swan Hills) I selected the "go to" function with the "follow roads" option.

When attempting to calculate the route I ended up with an error message stating basically that there were no roads near the town. The confusing part is

1. The highway that goes past this town was built in the early 80's
2. It was displayed and labelled on the screen of my GPS!!

Can anyone shed some light on this????

P.S
I am using the standard Map Source Software from Garmin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:53 pm 
normal user

Just did this with no problems on my 76C with TopoCanada loaded. Which MapSource mapping do you have loaded on your GPS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:02 pm 
normal user

First off, thanks for the reply... :D Please keep in mind that I a still new to this so please be patient and use simple instructions if required.

I have the U.S and Canadian Map Source Topo V 6.1.2.3 as well as the Metro Guide V 7 loaded.

As stated earlier, I can search Swan Hills however when I select the “Go To” option using the “Follow Roads” filter I get the error message. I wonder if it had something to do with the fact I was not only in Whitecourt at the time but I was driving down the highway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:37 pm 
normal user

Grizz wrote:
First off, thanks for the reply... :D Please keep in mind that I a still new to this so please be patient and use simple instructions if required.

I have the U.S and Canadian Map Source Topo V 6.1.2.3 as well as the Metro Guide V 7 loaded.

As stated earlier, I can search Swan Hills however when I select the “Go To” option using the “Follow Roads” filter I get the error message. I wonder if it had something to do with the fact I was not only in Whitecourt at the time but I was driving down the highway.

It "sounds" like your unit is only aware of the base maps and not the loaded maps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:02 pm 
normal user

Grizz (BTW a good name for someone Swan Hills bound)

Getting down to the basics for trouble shooting what maps do you see listed in Main Menu=>Setup=>Map and highlite the Information icon and press Menu? I get the Error you saw if I have "Show None" selected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:28 pm 
normal user

Thanks for the help guys, this is awsome!!!

Hey Chinook, unfortunately I am at work right now so I can not actually look at my GPS unit at the moment. Just to clarify, the menu system you are referring to, are you looking on the computer or on my actual GPS unit???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:58 pm 
normal user

On Your GPS. Press the menu button twice to bring up the main menu then Setup=>Map and highlite the Information icon (the "i") and press Menu again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:11 pm 
normal user

Thanks Chinook, I'll try this when I get home then re-post the results tomorrow. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:37 pm 
normal user

Grizz wrote:

mg7 doesnt route. get cn2008. youre using teh basemap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:32 pm 
normal user

Zurk wrote:
mg7 doesnt route. get cn2008. youre using teh basemap.

I agree he's probably using the basemap but TopoCanada (link) does route so he should be OK when it's enabled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:45 pm 
normal user

If MetroGuide has priority in the map hierarchy, it may be necessary to "hide" it to reveal the CT for routing. Do the contour lines display?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:58 am 
normal user

Is it so that TopoCanada is the kind of map where you must specify in MapSource that routing information is to be included when transferring maps to the unit?

I have read about maps that act like this here on the forum so I am kind of asking to make Grizz aware that this might be worth looking into unless you much more knowledgeable here on the forum knows this not to be an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:11 am 
normal user

TopoCanada does autoroute on the GPSr (point to point, roads and trails but no addresses)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:59 am 
normal user

Ok, here's the results, listed in my window I have the following showing and checked off

Calgary, Alberta
Metroguide North America
V.7

Kelowna, British Columbia
Metroguide North America
V.7

America's Marine Point
Basemap Jan 2001

When I try to plot a route to Swan Hills from my office at the Calgary Airport I still get the error message stating

Route Calculation Error: No Roads Near Destination

Is it possible that I have more maps on my memory card? How do I access it and how do I download maps to the card??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:06 am 
normal user

Grizz just to clarify this is what you see on your GPS? (Press the menu button twice to bring up the main menu then Setup=>Map and highlite the Information icon (the "i") and press Menu again.)

I'll let someone with an x series answer about the memory card but it looks like you don't have TopoCanada active on your GPSr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:17 am 
normal user

Correct, that is what I see on my GPS. I agree, it does look like I only have two of the Metroguide areas and none of the Topo stuff.

That being said, what confuses me is that my GPS will find Swan Hills and it will list Hwy 33 and Hwy 32 but it will not plot a route despite knowing where the town is. You would think it would just plot a course to the center of Swan Hills. In addition, if I run my cursor over the Swah Hills icon, it lists the Derrek Motel as being in town.

Also, I would very much appreciate it if someone could let me know how to access my memory card as well as list the appropriate steps to download all my maps to my GPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:59 am 
normal user

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/mapsource.htm#maps will give you some general information although it doesn't cover memory cards. Also page 39 of your 76CSx manual has some info too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:03 am 
normal user

Thanks for the link, I was looking at page 39 but it really does not contain alot of useful information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:18 am 
normal user

More info http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/MapSource_MapSourceUsersGuide.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:32 am 
normal user

Grizz wrote:
Thanks for the link, I was looking at page 39 but it really does not contain alot of useful information.

try metrowizz. if you must insist on loading mg at least load it wiht routing info.
http://www.geodude.nl/gps/modules/smart ... p?itemid=2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:20 am 
normal user

Hey Zurk, thanks for the link to the program however my GPS already does that. If I search almost any town, except for Swan Hills :lol: I get these options and it routes a course with turn by turn prompts on how to get there. I've even downloaded a program to notify me of red light cameras!!!

As for everyone else, I downloaded 600ish Topo maps of basically Alberta and most of B.C. then tried the search but got the same error message. I then tried the Metro Guide maps with the same results.

Also, when I checked which maps were loaded it looked like the Topo were no longer there. Is there any way to have both mapsets loaded at the same time or does one set get overwritten???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:23 am 
normal user

I don't know if this holds true for the "x" models with memory cards but for models that only have fixed internal memory all the maps must be uploaded at once. When MapSource begins an upload it first clears all existing maps from your GPSr then uploads.

For example if you upload maps A & B then later upload map C you would only have map C on your GPSr after the second upload.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:43 am 
normal user

Grizz,

On a 76CSx with Topo Canada I was able to calculate a road route to Swan Hills. I was able to duplicate your error message by removing the data card and using the base map only.

The 76CSx can read maps from one file only, which is automatically named gmapsupp.img by MapSource. This one file may contain maps from multiple products, such as Topo Canada combined with MetroGuide. When you create a new file, the old one is over-written.

Test it with Topo Canada first, to verify correct operation.

Do you require MetroGuide v7 in the same areas where you have Topo Canada coverage? If you do, you can select map areas for both products in MapSource prior to performing the "save to device" function. Remember MetroGuide v7 will not normally perform auto-route functions within the GPS receiver. Also keep in mind the 76CSx has a 2025 map limit.

You might try using Topo in Canada and MG7 for only the area of the States wher you require coverage. If there is no overlap, you won't need to worry about the show/hide options for maps on the 76CSx.