GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS Tracker for Pidgeons
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:21 am 
normal user

Hi,
I would like to create a google-maps application that would be able to track the course of homing pigeons. I would like to ask some tips on, basically, if it is possible, what parameters should I focus on, where could I possibly ask for help about the cost, and how low a gps transmitter device with battery could weigh.
I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with some estimations and other tips.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:55 am 
normal user

GPS devices only receive data from the satellites. In order to pass this on to another device, you need some form of radio. There are devices that are marketed for tracking pets (like dogs), but they have limited range and are quite expensive ($300 and up) plus require a cell phone signal to be available.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:03 pm 
normal user

A quick Google for "gps tracking for birds" turned up a few devices such as those offered by www.telemetrysolutions.com for Wild bird tracking with GPS - Custom micro GPS devices

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:39 pm 
normal user

Thank you guys! you helped me a lot! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:54 pm 
normal user

It is not easy to develop a new tracking application.

Right now I am using this tracking solution based on a web interface: gps.weblocator.eu.

More info you can find here http://weblocator.eu/

They provide the following features:
- Free of charge tracking services (under some limitations & restrictions but the basic free plan would be enough for any beginner in this field so I highly recommend it for you!)
- Different service packs so you are free to design the most proper pack
- Realtime localization, Vehicle history replay, POI, Areas, Fleet management, Reports (Detailed Log Book, Simplified Log Book, Stopping Report, Geofence Report, POI Report, Area Report, Alert Report, Fuel Consumption Report, Daily Milage Report, Street Report, Report of using vehicle out of working interval)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:51 am 
normal user

Hello.
You should use gsm network for information transmitting. I should work better than radio and there is less weight also. There is a lot of custom tracking programs created. I really doubt that you should program on your own from scratch. Test something like Gurtam or something like that first. Also there is ability to make a customize with gps tracking by gpswox. I was trying something with that several years ago.