GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:46 pm 
normal user

Hi All,
I'm relatively new to GPS market and don't have that much knowledge about it. We'd like to use a high precision GPS module for our autonomous vehicle application. I guess we need to have a module with accuracy around cm, do you have any suggestion?
Honestly I don't have any idea what factors really matter in choosing GPS modules.

I found Piksi Multi GPS module which has a very high resolution:
https://www.swiftnav.com/lp?&utm_source ... nt=general

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Kash

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:26 am 
normal user

A high precision GPS module capable of cm type accuracy is absolutely useless without the supporting base receiver infrastructure. How do you intend to provide that support?

Some key points you need to review in the spec for that board is
"RTK" being Real Time Kinematic meaning you need the reference station support to provide that capability, not cheap and distance limited
"centimetre-level accuracy at low cost" board may be low cost but the supporting infrastructure, reference receivers, communications etc might not be so cheap
"multi-band means fast convergence times measured in seconds, not minutes" mostly mumbo gumbo PR irrelevance, RTK cm accuracy for autonomous type requirements is typically in the multi hertz type range 10-20 hertz, 10-20 updates per second is much more costly than something "measured in seconds"
Multiple satellite constellations don't increase range between base and rover, pure rubbish
"GPS L1/l2 Hardware ready for Glonass, BeiDou, Galileo" If it's not capable of GPS L1/L2P(Y),L2C, L5 and Glonass L1,L2P. L2C NOW as a minimum then it's not ready for anything and will be obsolete come 2020

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:52 am 
normal user

You can try with in-car GPS.
ex: Garmin or TomTom. It includes map life data and update status of traffic on the road!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:51 am 
normal user

I thing you try GPStech solutions company devices. small and simple installations access anywhere with low coas.