GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am 
normal user

I am a land salesman. I typically hack my way thru the woods with a machete and a compass dragging a 300 ft tape and end up approximate where I should be.
(1) If I tag my starting point; then take a haphazard route thru the woods to a second point; then tag that point - is there an instrument that will tell me the distance between those two points?
(2) If I set a gps tool to go 10 degrees west of south then walk about 300 feet - is there a gps tool that will tell me if I am on track or how far off track I am?
Can I get an instrument for less than $200 or $300 that will do both of (1) and (2) above?
Thanks, Hunley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:46 am 
normal user

That price range limits you to recreational grade receivers which typically list their accuracy as +/- 5 metres. However, that figure assumes the absolute best of conditions (clear view of the sky and lost of satellites overhead). In practice accuracy can be much worse. Is it worse than a compass and tape measure? Probably not.

Quote:
(1) If I tag my starting point; then take a haphazard route thru the woods to a second point; then tag that point - is there an instrument that will tell me the distance between those two points?
Yes that's a basic feature common to most GPS receivers

Quote:
(2) If I set a gps tool to go 10 degrees west of south then walk about 300 feet - is there a gps tool that will tell me if I am on track or how far off track I am?
Yes, sort of. I have never used my gps to navigate that way so can't say for sure that you can enter a heading. I would enter the starting and ending points (or a series of points to create a 'route') and set the GPS to display Cross-track error. This is also a common feature.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:17 am 
normal user

Thanks Sam. If I do want accuracy to within a foot or so - what kind of price range am I looking at. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:41 pm 
normal user

Mapping grade receivers have submetre accuracy.

You're probably looking at over a thousand but I haven't looked a prices in a decade. Trimble is a well known brand but there are many others

http://www.trimble.com/mappingGIS/index.aspx